To fulfill the agreement signed with the Taliban, the US military has withdrawn from 5 bases in Afghanistan
CNN reported on the 14th that the Pentagon of the United States announced on Tuesday that as part of a peace agreement reached with the Taliban this year, the United States has withdrawn from five bases in Afghanistan and reduced the number of troops there. scale.
Pentagon spokesperson Jonathan Hoffman in a statement Zhong said,”There are still about 8,000 US soldiers stationed in Afghanistan. The five bases used by the US military have been handed over to our Afghan partners.” He said,”The US military presence in Afghanistan still focuses on capabilities, not on Quantity. We will maintain the necessary capabilities and permissions to protect ourselves, our allies and partners, and the national interests of the United States.”
In late February this year, the United States and the Taliban signed a historic agreement that opened the possibility of ending the United States’ long-term participation in the war in Afghanistan, which has continued Nearly 20 years. The peace agreement outlines a series of commitments by the United States and the Taliban in terms of military size, counter-terrorism, and internal dialogue in Afghanistan aimed at achieving a”permanent and comprehensive ceasefire.” The agreement sets a 14-month timetable for the withdrawal of the United States and its allies and alliance partners.
CNN previously reported in May that the Pentagon’s reconstruction of Afghanistan is special The data obtained by the Inspector General shows that in the month after the signing of the peace agreement, the Taliban attacked the United States’ Afghanistan allies to a greater degree than in the past. The United States-led International Coalition Forces in Afghanistan told the Inspector General that from March 1 to March 31, the Taliban did not attack the coalition forces, but they increased their attacks on Afghanistan’s defense and security forces.