Myopia prevention and control plan for children and adolescents: reduce the burden on school work and regulate the use of electronic products
China News Service, May 11th. According to the website of the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Education and other 15 departments have recently jointly formulated the “Work Plan for the Prevention and Control of Myopia in Children and Adolescents (2021-2025)” (hereinafter referred to as the “Plan” ), the plan proposes major tasks such as reducing the burden on students’ academic work, strengthening outdoor activities and physical exercise, and scientifically and standardizing the use of electronic products.
Strengthen the prevention and control of myopia in children and adolescents, Promoting the visual health of children and adolescents is a “bright project” of the central government, the masses and the society. With the approval of the State Council, since the Ministry of Education and other 8 departments jointly issued the “Implementation Plan for the Prevention and Control of Myopia in Children and Adolescents” (Jiaotiyi  No. 3) in August 2018, positive progress and results have been achieved in the prevention and control of myopia in children and adolescents. Affected by the new crown pneumonia epidemic in the first half of 2020, children and adolescents have longer online learning time and reduced outdoor activities. Myopia prevention and control are facing challenges.
The plan puts forward the work goal: to jointly carry out the prevention and control of myopia in children and adolescents, overcome the impact of the new crown pneumonia epidemic, improve the prevention and control system of children and adolescents, and continue to reduce the myopia rate of children and adolescents every year by 2025, which is effective Improve the visual health of children and adolescents, and lay the foundation for achieving the goals and tasks of the Implementation Plan in 2030 as scheduled.
The plan clarifies the main tasks:
(1) Guide students to consciously love and protect eyes. Educate every student to strengthen the awareness of “everyone is the first person responsible for their own health”. Actively learn and master health knowledge such as scientific eye care, develop healthy habits, and promote to parents. Actively pay attention to your own eyesight. When you feel that your eyesight has changed significantly, inform parents and teachers in time, and go to the ophthalmology medical institution for examination and treatment as soon as possible. Conscientiously regulate eye exercises, maintain correct reading and writing posture, learn to combine work and rest, do a reasonable work and rest, and develop the habit of using eyes scientifically; actively participate in physical exercises and outdoor activities, participate in moderate-intensity sports activities more than 3 times a week, and develop Have a good lifestyle, keep enough sleep, stay up late, eat less sweets, and consciously reduce the use of electronic products.
(2) Reduce the academic burden of students. Instruct all localities to implement the “Measures to Reduce the Burden of Primary and Secondary School Students” (Jiaoji  No. 26) and the “Notice of the General Office of the Ministry of Education on Strengthening the Management of Compulsory Education School Assignments” (Jiaoji Ting Han  No. 13), requiring all localities to strictly follow The national curriculum plan and curriculum standards organize and arrange teaching activities, strictly follow the “zero-start” normal teaching, pay attention to improving the efficiency of classroom teaching, and must not increase or decrease class hours, change difficulty, or adjust progress at will. Strengthen the overall management of the number, time and content of homework by grade groups and subject groups. Boarding schools shorten the time for students to study at night. Assign homework scientifically, improve the quality of homework design, promote students to complete basic homework, strengthen practical homework, reduce mechanical and repetitive training, and prevent student homework from becoming parent homework. Comprehensively promote the full coverage of nearby schools for free from examinations in compulsory education schools. Strictly control the number of uniform examinations in schools during the compulsory education stage. Guide families to cooperate with the school to effectively reduce the burden on children’s studies, not to blindly participate in extracurricular training, follow the trend of reporting classes, and choose rationally based on children’s interests and hobbies, to avoid reducing the burden on the school and increasing the burden on the family.
(3) Strengthen outdoor activities and physical exercises. Instruct all localities to implement the opinions of the Central Committee and the State Council on comprehensively strengthening and improving school sports work in the new era, “Opinions on Deepening the Integration of Sports and Education to Promote the Healthy Development of Young People” (Tifa  No. 1), “National Youth Campus Football” “Eight Major Systems” Construction Action Plan” (Jiaotiyi  No. 5), “Notice of the General Office of the Ministry of Education on Further Strengthening the Physical Fitness Management of Primary and Secondary School Students” (Jiaotiyi Hall  No. 16) and other document requirements, strengthen For physical education and extracurricular exercises, we should strive to ensure that students have 1 hour of physical activity time on campus and off campus each day. Encourage schools at the basic education stage to offer 1 physical education class every day. Establish and improve the nationwide sports activity system for children and adolescents, instruct all localities to adopt various forms and methods to carry out popularization of children and adolescents’ fitness science work, and attract more children and adolescents to participate in sports activities outdoors. Fully implement the sports homework system for students in winter and summer vacations, and guide parents to create a good family sports atmosphere. Children who have been short-sighted should further increase the time of outdoor activities to delay the development of myopia. Encourage and support children to participate in various forms of sports activities, so that they can master 1-2 sports skills, and guide children to develop lifelong exercise habits.
(4) Scientifically regulate the use of electronic products. Instruct all localities to implement the “Notice on Strengthening the Management of Mobile Phones for Primary and Middle School Students” (Jiaoji Office Letter  No. 3), publicize the harm of excessive use of mobile phones by primary and secondary school students and the need to strengthen management, and ensure that mobile phones are limited to campuses and are prohibited Bring into the classroom. School education is based on the principle of on-demand use of electronic products. Teaching and assignments do not rely on electronic products. In principle, the length of teaching using electronic products should not exceed 30% of the total teaching time. In principle, paper-based assignments are used. Parents should strengthen the supervision and management of children’s use of mobile phones, and guide children to treat them scientifically and rationally and use mobile phones rationally, so as to form a joint effort for home-school education.
(5) Implement visual health monitoring. Establish a child and adolescent vision health monitoring database, carry out national dynamic monitoring of the vision of children and adolescents every year, and strive to achieve full coverage of myopia monitoring for children and adolescents in counties (districts). Instruct all localities to strictly implement the requirements of the national basic public health service for the eye care and vision inspection for children aged 0-6 years, so as to achieve early monitoring, early detection, early warning, and early intervention, and coverage of the annual eye care and vision inspection for children aged 0-6 The rate is over 90%. Relying on existing resources, establish and update the electronic files of children and adolescents’ vision health in a timely manner, and transfer them in real time with children and adolescents entering school. Earnestly carry out vision screening for primary and middle school students, update eye health data to the electronic vision health file in a timely manner, screen for abnormal vision or suspicious eye diseases, and provide personalized and targeted prevention and control programs.
(6) Improve the visual environment of students. Guide local areas to improve teaching facilities and conditions, implement lighting and lighting requirements for classrooms, dormitories, libraries (reading rooms), etc., encourage the purchase of adjustable desks, chairs, and sitting orthoses that meet the standards, and provide students with learning that meets eye hygiene requirements surroundings. According to the perspective of the students’ seats, the lighting conditions in the classroom and the changes in the students’ eyesight, the students’ seats are adjusted every month, and the height of the desks and chairs of the students is individually adjusted every semester to adapt to the changes in the growth and development of the students. Strictly follow the “Child and Adolescent School Supplies Myopia Prevention and Control Hygiene Requirements” to ensure that children and adolescents use textbooks, teaching supplementary materials, study magazines, schoolwork books, examination papers, study newspapers, study materials for preschool children, and general hygiene requirements. School supplies for children and adolescents, such as classroom lighting, reading and writing desk lamps, and teaching multimedia. Encourage the purchase and use of certified optometry-related products and optometry services.
(7) Improve the quality of professional guidance and correction. Give full play to the hospital’s professional advantages and continuously improve its eye health service capabilities. Formulate follow-up intervention measures, check and correct the situation in a timely manner in the electronic file of children and adolescents’ vision health. Give full play to the scientific research strength of universities and research institutes, carry out scientific research on myopia prevention and control, and strengthen the application of scientific research results and technologies for prevention and control of myopia. Give full play to the role of Chinese medicine in the prevention and control of myopia in children and adolescents, formulate and implement a comprehensive correction plan for the integration of Chinese and Western medicine, and promote the application of characteristic Chinese medicine technologies and methods.
(8) Strengthen vision health education. Issue guidelines for the prevention and control of myopia at different stages of preschool education for 0-6 years old, primary school age 7-12 years old, and middle school age 13-18 years old to educate and guide children and adolescents to form scientific eye behavior habits. Based on the development of health education video courses at the compulsory education stage, a national resource database for children and adolescents’ vision health education will be established. Developed and issued “Opinions on Comprehensively Strengthening and Improving School Hygiene and Health Education in the New Era”. Train and train health education teachers, develop, expand and make good use of health education curriculum resources. Support and encourage students to set up health education clubs that are active in schools, and carry out peer education on vision health. Strengthen the construction of myopia prevention and control expert think tanks, encourage multiple forces to actively carry out myopia prevention and control publicity and education activities, and carry out comprehensive prevention and control of myopia prevention and control in children and adolescents.